Lately I have wanted to learn new skills, including analytics. Google Analytics being one of the most popular tool (although maybe not the best), I’ll share with you a few things I learned about it.
Here are articles and courses I have taken/read:
Training: Google Analytics Academy. A free course that gives an overview of the fundamentals. The videos are good, but the course lacks exercises to help students remember and practice their newly acquired knowledge. I found the quizz confusing and I ended up just trying to remember answers to quiz questions rather than deeply understanding how to use the software.
Article: “Absolute Beginners Guide de Google Analytics”
- Google Analytics (GA) will help you make sense of traffic, their sources, when users drop off and convert.
- The article explains how to install GA, on HTML websites, Shopify and WordPress.
- Some useful set-ups/actions:
- Goals: you’ll want to set up goals. For instance, users reaching a thank you page after they purchase a product. Click “new goal” for a conversion, customise it and save it. A website can have up to 20 Goals: needless to see only set goals that are important to your Business. Goal examples: lead form submissions, email list sign ups, and purchase completions. Depending on your website and its purpose, your goals may vary.
- Track “Search” by running a search and using the URL and add Search on “View Setting” under “Site Search Setting”
- In “Admin”: add new accounts and properties (=websites) in a single GA account
- When you log-in, you’ll be presented a “Reporting” overview for each website in your account:
- How do I use Custom Reports, Dashboards, and Segments
- Leave the “All Website Data” as is when opening an account: it is tracking all data from all visitors.What you should do next is create a new View, let’s call it “MyWebsite.com – filter internal IPs – 6.24.15”. Use this new View to begin playing around with your data, adding Filters that exclude traffic to your website from your company, your home, etc.
Next reading. Designers are often asked to optimise conversion funnels, so I’ll be summarising this article next: https://neilpatel.com/blog/conversion-funnel-survival-guide/